Oberdorfer began manufacturing pumps as a result of the company's interest in the automotive industry. For approximately 60 years, the pump line evolved as an exclusively bronze product line with emphasis on rotary gear pumps up to 150gpm at 100psi.
Oberdorfer became an innovator in pump manufacturing and design of quality products for the early automotive industry, and followed that tradition into the aircraft industry. The first commercial air-cooled aircraft engines were equipped with bronze gear pumps made by Oberdorfer. The four (4) in line cylinders were lubricated by a single pump driven off the crankshaft. An Oberdorfer pump mounted on a 1914 Kemp aircraft engine is currently on display at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.